NEWS: We will be on Vacation for about two weeks. We have posted all Teasers and Trivia for this time. We should be back live around June 6th.
Brain Teaser 5/25/2015
"We were born on the same day of the same year," said Betsy.
"And we have the same mother and father," said Patsy.
"But we're not twins," said Betsy.
Can you explain?
Brain Teaser 5/26/2015
A boy leaves home in the morning to go to school. At the moment he leaves, the house he looks at the clock in the mirror. The clock has no number indication, and for this reason the boy makes a mistake in interpreting the time [mirror-image]. Just assuming the clock must be out of order, the boy cycles to school, where he arrives after twenty minutes. At that moment, the clock at school shows a time that is two and a half hours later than the time that the boy saw on the clock at home.
At what time did he reach school?
Brain Teaser 5/27/2015
1. Tom is younger than Rose, but older than Will and Jack, in that order. Rose is younger than Susie, but older than Jack. Jack is younger than Jim. Susie is older than Rose, but younger than Jim. Jim is older than Tom. Who is the oldest?
2. Allie takes fruit, cake, and cookies for her picnic. She has three boxes for them. One is labeled FRUIT. One is labeled COOKIES. One is labeled CAKE. But she knows her Mom likes to fool her and has put every single thing in the wrong box. The only other thing she knows for sure is that the fruit is not in the CAKE box. Where is the cake?
3. A block of wood in the form of a cube 3" x 10" x 13" has all its six faces painted pink. If the wooden block is cut into 390 cubes of 1" x 1" x 1", how many of these would have pink paint on them?
Brain Teaser 5/28/2015
1. Each of the Johnson brothers has as many sisters as he has brothers. Each of the Johnson sisters has twice as many brothers as she has sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the Johnson family?
2. Twenty-one birds are nesting in a tree. If a man shot into the tree and killed one-seventh of them, how many would remain?
Brain Teaser 5/29/2015
How Old Did You Say?
1. "My grandson is about as many days as my son is weeks, and my grandson is as many months as I am in years. My grandson, my son and I together are 140 years. Can you tell me my age in years?"
2. If you reverse the digits of my age, you have the age of my son. A year ago, I was twice his age. How old are we both now?
3. Soon little Freddie will celebrate his tenth birthday. In 11 years Freddie will reach half the average age of his parents. His mother is only 17 years older than her son. How old are Freddie's father and mother.
Brain Teaser 5/30/2015
Fun With Numbers...
1. Replace the asterisks by the correct mathematical signs to make the expression equal to 99.
16 * 12 * 2 * 3 = 99
2. The time is twenty-six minutes to one in the afternoon. The year is 1978, and the date is May 6th. What is the significance of this?
Brain Teaser 5/31/2015
How Many Squares Are In This Picture?
Post Your Solution and SHARE...
Brain Teaser 6/1/2015
Robert and David were preparing to have a water balloon fight. "No Fair" cried Robert, "You have 3 times as many as I do!" David said "Fine!" and gave Robert 10 more balloons. "Still not fair!" argued Robert, "You still have twice as many as I do." How many more balloons must David give Robert for them to have the same number?
Brain Teaser 6/2/2015
1. Brad Doe works for a packaging company. One day, he received four separate orders and accidentally mixed up the addresses, so he applied the address labels at random. What is the probability that exactly three packages were correctly labeled?
2. Imagine a square, with each side 4 cm long, inscribed in a circle. What is the radius of the circle?
3. Without looking at a calendar, within a minute name a boys name using 5 consecutive 1st letters of 5 consecutive months.
Brain Teaser 6/3/2015
The same five letters can be anagrammed into four different words to fill in the blanks in the sentence to make (somewhat) good sense. What are missing words?
The farmer with hundreds of _ _ _ _ _, deeply _ _ _ _ _ about the amount of rainfall, and _ _ _ _ _ around with artificial watering systems when the ground is dry enough to _ _ _ _ _ him about the possibility of crop failure.
Brain Teaser 6/4/2015
1. There are 2 ducks in front of 2 other ducks. There are 2 ducks behind 2 other ducks. There are 2 ducks beside 2 other ducks. How many ducks are there?
2. Farmer Brown came to town with some watermelons. He sold half of them plus half a melon, and found that he had one whole melon left. How many melons did he take to town?
Brain Teaser 6/5/2015
1. What number is missing from this series?
2 3 5 7 13 17
2. What's the pattern to these numbers?
8 5 4 9 1 7 6 3 2 0
What is so special about this set of numbers, aside from the fact that it is a palindrome?
Trivia for 5/25/2015
In 1975, a ship and its crew of 29 people vanished on Lake Superior. What was the name of the ship?
3. Edmund Fitzgerald
Trivia for 5/26/2015
Which classification of triangle has all angles less than 90 degrees?
Trivia for 5/27/2015
His name may be associated with a fine meal, but this man has been called the "Father of Romanticism" in French literature.
1. Francois Chateaubriand
2. Victor Hugo
3. Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
4. Johann von Goethe
Trivia for 5/28/2015
Of the nine commonly recognized planets in our solar system what cold planet was the last to be discovered?
Trivia for 5/29/2015
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a one time Mississippi steamboat pilot, is better known by what name?
1. Lewis Carroll
2. George Eliot
3. O. Henry
4. Mark Twain
Trivia for 5/30/2015
The Julian calendar, containing leap years and 365 days, was the work of Julius Caesar and a number of his advisers. Which Alexandrian mathematician was his chief advisor on the calendar?
Trivia for 5/31/2015
What was the name of the poison that killed Socrates?
4. juice of nightshade
Trivia for 6/1/2015
K is the symbol for what element on the periodic table?
Trivia for 6/2/2015
We all know that the biggest mammal is the blue whale. But what kind of animal is the smallest mammal?
1. A bat
2. A shrew
3. A mouse
4. A hamster
Trivia for 6/3/2015
In 1913 the first of this modern type of puzzle was published in the "New York World". What type of puzzle was it?
2. Dot to dot
4. Crossword puzzle
Trivia for 6/4/2015
The artist Pablo Picasso owned a dog named Kabul whom Picasso claimed influenced his painting style. What breed was this appropriately-named dog?
1. Yorkshire terrier
2. Afghan hound
Trivia for 6/5/2015
Constantinople fell to the Ottoman Turks in which year?